EcoMadness is a month long energy and water conservation competition. Each participating building has its own meter which measures the amount of water (in gallons) and the amount of energy (in kilowatt-hours) per day. These numbers are divided by the number of students in the building so we can find the energy and water usage per capita in each dorm.
The dorm standings will be updated at least once a week during the competition so that everyone can keep track of the progress they are making. At the end of the month long period, winners will be announced based on who had the largest reduction of energyand water usage and who used the lowest amounts of energy and water overall.
2016 EcoMadness Updates & Results
Comparing Past EcoMadness Results
EcoMadness 2015 Final Standings
The results are in. Congratulations to our winners and everyone else for a successful EcoMadness! We had a great kick-off to EcoMadness with almost 20 eco-captain voulnteers serving the UConn community by encouraging their residence halls to conserve water and energy! Some stand-out points with Whitney cutting their energy use by a third and Shippee reducing their water use by over 34%! The final standings are as follows:
Percent Reduction Rankings
|Water Use||% Reduction||Energy Use||% Reduction|
|1st Place||Shippee||34.8||Whitney (East)||35.4|
|2nd Place||Buckley||17.4||Batterson (Northwest)||21.1|
|3rd Place||Holcomb (East)||8.6||Grange/Hicks (East)||18.1|
Per Capita Rankings
|Water Use||gal / person||Energy Use||kWh / person|
|1st Place||Rogers (Northwest)||22||Holcomb (East)||2.9|
|2nd Place||Russel (Northwest)||25.3||Batterson/Terry (Northwest)||3.2|
|3rd Place||Batterson (Northwest)||25.5||Alsop A/ B (West)||3.3|
Bingo: print out bingo sheets from the OEP website and get your residents educated about a variety of environmental terms and several green features at UConn. Bingo Boards: Version 1 | Version 2 | Version 3
Jeopardy: Test your knowledge and see who’s been reading the bulletin board! Set up in teams and have a friendly jeopardy face off!
Green Scavenger hunt: It’s a race against the clock! Split your residents into partners or small groups and send them on a hunt through the dorm and out around campus to find UConn’s sustainable features.
(Shhhhhh! Here's the answer sheet.)
Short shower floor competition: This one is on the honor system. Tape a log sheet on the wall by the shower and have residents post their shower times throughout the week. The floor with the shortest overall time for the week (or shortest per capita) wins!
Seed planting (discuss with your hall director, we cannot provide seeds or pots): Gather residents to plant a seed that will grow into a beautiful flower in their room. Great for decoration and bringing the outdoors inside.
EcoCaptains are responsible for promoting the EcoMadness Competition. They will motivate their fellow residents to conserve water and energy as well as be responsible for advertising the contest.
The EcoMadness Pledge
Please take the EcoMadness Pledge! By taking this pledge you are dedicating yourself to actively participate in EcoMadness by doing your best to reduce your energy and water consumption. You can print out the pledge (found under "Advertising Resources"), cut off the excess paper (make sure to recycle it!) and tape the pledge to your door so that your fellow residents may know that you are committed and be inspired to join in the effort to conserve. Pick one or two things from the list of tips for conserving energy and water and write them on the lines provided. It will be your goal to, at the very least, stick to the tips you have chosen. For example you may choose to pledge to turn off your lights every time you leave the room, or to do your best to take shorter showers. So post your pledge today and good luck competing in EcoMadness!
- EcoMadness Flyer
- EcoMadness Pledge
- EcoMadness Outreach
- Join the Madness
- Energy Factoids
- Water Factoids
- Dorm Checklist
- Help Save Water!
- Be an EcoCaptain!
- Saving Energy
- Water Conservation Poster
- Phantom Load
- Only wash your clothes if you have a full load to do. Pool laundry with your friends to make full loads!
- Report all leaks to your CA or ResLife immediately!
- Turn off the water when brushing your teeth, washing your face, shaving, etc.
- Take shorter showers! This will save between 5 and 10 gallons of water per minute.
- Don't flush any type of garbage down the toilet. Every flush uses around 7 gallons of water!
- When washing dishes, use a full sink of warm water instead of running the faucet continuously.
- Turn off the lights when nobody is in the room! This goes especially for bathrooms and common rooms when they aren't occupied!
- Avoid the "phantom load". Appliances such as your TV, DVD player, cell phone charger, etc. consume energy just by being plugged in. Unplug them when not in use!
- Turn down your thermostat before going to bed. For every degree you reduce it, you will save 5% on heating.
- Wash your clothes in cold water. It works just as well as warm water, will keep colors from bleeding, and saves the energy that would have gone to heating the water!
- Install compact fluorescent lightbulbs in your lamps. They use 1/4 the electricity of a normal bulb.
- Power down your computer when not in use. For desk tops, turn off the monitor when you aren't using it.